The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is a fast-paced, innovative non-profit seeking an organized, motivated individual to join our Washington, DC office. Our mission is to use the power of information to protect human health and the environment.
The Staff Accountant, is a full-time position based in the Washington, DC office. The ideal candidate will be responsible for weekly check processing, daily deposits, financial statement preparation, and assisting the VP, Finance. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare yearly 1099 forms.
- Maintain a strong system of internal controls to insure the accurate reporting of transactions as well as the safeguarding of assets.
- Enter Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable to Sage 50 U.S. Accounting software.
- Ensure that all payables and receivables flow appropriately and in a timely fashion.
- Serve as point person during annual audit with external parties.
- Assist with backup for other Administrative Assistants.
- Administer meeting logistics for the VP, Finance.
- Recognize trends in financial data.
- Work with the administrative assistants to ensure the office runs smoothly, and provide general administrative assistance such as copying, faxing, scanning, data entry, distributing mail, and maintaining files for multiple staff members.
- Other duties, as assigned. This is a “roll up your sleeves” position.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least three-years professional experience. Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills a must; experience with Mac, PC, and Sage preferred. Proficiency with Excel, Word, and accounting software required.
- Work well with others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills,
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must take initiative, solve problems independently, and be extremely organized and detailed-oriented.
To apply, send cover letter addressing above and resume to: Scott Mallan, EWG, 1436 U Street NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20009. [email protected]. No phone calls, please.